How to Claim your Superannuation

If you are a holder of a temporary visa and have worked and earned while on a visit to Australia, you are entitled to claim your superannuation. Just like anything that needs to be claimed, you have to meet certain requirements in order to claim your departing Australia superannuation payment (DASP).

How to Claim your Superannuation Eligibility requirements

You can claim DASP if you have met the following requirements:

  • You have accumulated super while working in Australia on a temporary resident visa that was issued under the Migration Act 1958
  • Your visa is no longer in effect, meaning it has either expired or it has been cancelled
  • You have left Australia
  • You are not a citizen of Australia or New Zealand nor are you a permanent resident of Australia

How much can be claimed?

You can check the amount saved through the official Australian Taxation Office (ATO) website. Another option is to head over to the website of your super fund. Or, you can always send an inquiry through email or a phone call.

When can the superannuation be claimed?

You need to hit a number of criteria to be eligible for a refund, one of which is being out of Australia. Yes, you can only claim your super once you have left the country and your visa is no longer in effect.

However, it is possible to claim super before the aforementioned requirements. If you are leaving the country before the expiration of your visa, you have the option to delete your visa.

To do that, you have to complete Form 1194 (Certification of Immigration Status and/or request to cancel a Temporary Resident visa) from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection. The form can be sent through mail or scanned and sent through email.

When will payment be received? 

Once your super fund receives all the necessary documentation regarding your claim, you can expect the payment to arrive within 28 days. The money can either be deposited into an Australian bank account or sent via check to your address.

Can someone be authorised to claim super?

Yes, but you have to give them a written authority before they can submit a DASP claim on your behalf. Tax agents are the most common nominees in this scenario.

What are the steps involved in claiming superannuation? 

  • Start working on getting the required documents – check with your super fund for this – certified while you’re still in Australia.
  • Start the online application while you’re still in the country. You can save the information you entered and submit them once you’ve left.
  • Submit your online application at the official ATO website.

Some important reminders on how to claim your superannuation

  • Make sure to check that your employer has paid the required super before leaving the country.
  • Your super fund will transfer to the ATO if you have not claimed DASP in the six months or more since you left Australia. You can still claim it but you have to provide certified documents to get the money.

Read more about how to claim Superannuation

Did you know there are over $540 million unclaimed Australian Superannuation payments? Let’s make sure yours not going to end up on the unclaimed pile  Apply for your Superannuation Refund today.